Wednesday, 18 March 2015
51 Mind-Blowing Facts About Life, The Universe, And Everything
1. The sun makes up more than 99% of the mass of the solar system.
2. Humans can distinguish between at least
3. Almost every element in your body was made in an
4. An asteroid in our solar system has
, like Saturn.
5. There might be another Earth-sized
in the outer solar system.
6. A narwhal’s tusk is filled with
7. Each of a tarsier’s eyeballs is
as big as its brain
8. If you shuffle a pack of cards properly, chances are that exact order has
never been seen before
in the whole history of the universe.
9. Adults have fewer
than a baby.
10. Humans can’t
breathe and swallow
at the same time.
11. There are about
atoms in a human body.
12. There are about
neurons in an average human brain.
13. Every atom in your body is
of years old.
14. There’s a type of mollusc called a chiton that can
make its own magnetic teeth
sense a flower’s electric field
and use it to find pollen.
16. Beaked whales can hold their breath for
over two hours
17. Mantis shrimp can punch at
80 kilometres per hour
18. The universe
19. There’s a gas cloud in the constellation of Aquila that contains enough alcohol to make
400 trillion trillion
pints of beer.
20. Looking at stars is basically looking into the past, because of how long it takes the light from them to reach us.
21. Dung beetles can use the Milky Way to
22. The Milky Way has
spiral arms, not two.
23. If you cry in space the tears just stick to your
24. During the ice age, 32,000 years ago, a squirrel buried a seed. Now the seed has been used to
grow a flower
25. We’ve found over
planets outside our solar system just in the last 20 years.
26. There’s a planet where it rains glass,
27. The world’s oceans contain
20 million tons of gold
28. If the oceans dried out, the salt left over would cover the continents to a depth of 5 feet.
29. There are more cells of
in your body than there are human cells.
30. There’s a species of jellyfish that is essentially
31. Ladybirds can fly at speeds up to
32. There’s a
3.5-inch aluminium sculpture
on the moon.
33. Scientists have found a tiny crystal of zircon that is
4.4 billion years old
34. You can listen to what interstellar space
35. It takes a photon, on average,
to travel from the core of the sun to the surface.
36. Then it takes just 8 minutes from the sun’s surface to your eyes.
37. A Mars-sized object crashed into Earth 4.5 billion years ago, chipping off a chunk of rock that became the moon, and making the Earth’s axis
38. 111,111,111 × 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321.
39. Our first ancestor to walk on land was a
four-legged fish called
40. Teenage brains really are
to adult ones.
41. There are roughly
2 pints of water
in every cubic foot of soil on Mars.
42. You can use a blue whale’s wax earplug to work out its
43. There’s a mammal in Australia that has sex until it
44. An orgasm can
45. There’s a mantis that can camouflage itself to look exactly like an
46. There’s an insect that has
47. Life expectancy has
over the last 150 years.
48. Atoms are mostly empty space.
49. If you removed all the empty space from the atoms that make up all the humans on Earth, the remaining mass could fit inside a
50. In the history of the Earth, we’re
to Tyrannosaurus rex than T. rex is to stegosaurus.
51. Birds are
Post Comments (Atom)